This fenugreek dosa or vandhaya dosai is something very different from the normal dosa , this sure will be sticky spongy and very tasty. This is a very healthy recipe for all the diabetic people and also for old age people and kids too. My son who is a 2 yr old he just loves this dosa and garlic chutney as a side.
This goes very well with the ultimate garlic chutney which we make….soon i’ll post the recipe for it too…the combination of both of these cannot be described such a mind blowing recipe.
This is specially made only with idly rice and fenugreek seeds which should be soaked for 4 hours if your grinding in grinder and if your doing it with mixy then go ahead and soak it overnight…i just added a little bit of urad dal and aval (flattened rice/poha) , I add this because i also make idly with this when we add poha to this the idly turns out so well and when we add urad dal just a spoon or so to make it well ariated and the idly will be super soft.
In the same batter if you add some coconut milk and some grated coconut while grinding at the end it sould be the batter for the aapam which is a very traditional south Indian recipe, Now lets see the full recipe for the vendhaya dosa
- Idly rice – 3 cups
- Fenugreek seeds / Methi – 1 Handfull
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Poha / Flattened rice – 1 tbsp
- The first step is to soak the above said ingredients overnight if your grinding in a mixy
- If your grinding in a grinder soak it just for 4-5 hrs that’s more than enough
- Once it has soaked well as req then start to grind it into a smooth batter like the dosa batter
- Then add some salt like shown in pic if the salt is not enough then the batter won’t be fermented properly
- Then mix it with your hands the whole batter mix vigorously so better have the batter in a big bowl with a lid
- Then put the lid tightly secure it and keep it in a warm place like an oven and leave it overnight until well fermented
NOTE: If your batter is thick always add water but for idly you need a thicker batter than the dosa batter while making the dosas
- Then place a tawa heat it and take a laddle of batter and pour it into it
- And make circles but it should be slightly thick for a spongy dosa
- And make it thin as you can and smear some oil
- Not much oil required for this dosa
- So you have to close it with a lid until well cooked and no need to flip if your closing it and cooking
- If you need real crispy vendhaya dosa for kids add some more oil and leave it on the tawa for few min on a medium flame
- Done ready our awesome tempting and off course healthy fenugreek dosa/Vendhaya dosai
Enjoy this with some garlic powder/ poondu podi or garlic chutney which is only made with red chilly’s and garlic which should be ground into a raw paste with some salt and lemon juice and add some sesame oil while having it .
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Do try this healthy dosa and let me know in the comments and i’ll be surely glad to respond! and it will be so much helpful for my future postings too…!