For Ganesh Chadurthi everybody makes the sweet dumplings as i have said in my another post Kozhukkattai…..Rice Dumplings….for a healthy evening snacks and a special ganesh chadurthi recipe!……. . But here my version of making this urad dal stuffing which is the spicy one, made with chilly’s. The aromatic flavor does it all, with few curry leaves and coriander leaves.
This is actually called as ulundhu kozhukattai in my regional language and this is a very healthy recipe for all ladies since the stuffing is made with urad dal and the dumplings are steam cooked so it contains very less calories.
This is a very special one for all women’s who really suffer from back ache and regular body aches have it like monthly once at least to reduce your body pain and to stay healthy and strong.
My mom she used to make this version of dumplings since her mom used to make it so this is one of a traditional recipe which we follow because of its intense flavor and the aroma of it, it just takes us away. Now lets see the full recipe of it,
To grind :
- Urad dal – 1 cup (Soak in water for 2 hrs)
- Salt – 1 tbsp
- Green chilly – 2 or 3
- Asafoetida – 2 pinch
To Tamper :
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – 1 or 2 pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander to garnish
- Firstly soak the urad dal for 2 hours in water before starting the recipe
- When you crush it with you hands it should break it is the perfect texture for it to grind
- Add green chilly according to your spice level i have told for a medium spicy people
- Add some salt and some asafoetida powder
- Grind it into a coarse paste
- Take a pan smear some oil to tamper
- Add mustard seeds, Asafoetida powder and some curry leaves
- When it splutters add in the ground mixture
- Keep sauteing it or else it will be burnt on the bottom
- After 3 to 4 minutes of sauteing sprinkle some water and cover it and cook
- Then you can see the color change of the urad dal to a pale white which is cooked perfectly
- Check the salt
- Then garnish it with some coriander leaves
- Done….ready our stuffing for the savory dumplings!
For the dumplings please do follow my another post which i have the link below
Thank you! all so much for stopping by.
I’ll be very glad to respond for the feedback’s , so do try the recipe and let me know guys.