This recipe the rice dumplings can be done in many variations…Kozhukatta or Kozhukkattai is a popular South Indian sweet dumpling made from rice flour, with a filling of grated coconut and jaggery is the sweet version and the savory version is that the filling will be with urad dal and green chilly.
Kozhukkattai is famously known as the Modak in other parts of india which is similarly done with many variations like the sweet and the savory one. Especially the sweet one with the grated coconut and jaggery with some channa dal or kadalai parupu is the favorite dish of lord ganesha.
Just for a different flavor and added excitement we do it with urad dal and green chilly stuffing is the spicy one fully loaded with awesomeness of chilly flavor and urad dal.
Here am going to show you how to make these cute dumplings with idyappam flour for the best result and a very soft modak’s.
First lets see the stuffing for this modak’s :
Sweet stuffing :
- Kadalai paruppu or channa dal – 1 cup (soak over night)
- coconut powder – 1 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Salt – a pinch
- Pacha karpooram/ Edible camphor – a pinch
- Channa dal soak over night
- Put it in a cooker and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles
- It should mash when you slightly press it as shown
- Drain it, after it’s cooked and save the water for later purpose
- These are the required ingredients
- Take a wide pan
- Add the jaggery to it
- If you want this juicy add more jaggery to it but make sure its not too sweet
- Add the water which was drained from the pressure cooker
- Just add until all the jaggery is soaked do not add too much water
- When it comes to a slight boil add the cooked channa dal and a pinch of salt
- Allow it to boil for sometime close and cook it
- Open and mash the channa dal
- Add a pinch of edible camphor or pacha karpooram
- Add the cardamom powder and some fresh cardamom for the best aroma
- Add the coconut powder mix well
- For this 1 cup you can easily make more than 15 to 20 dumplings
- When it has cooled down you can make these into small dumplings and save for later
- Done the stuffing is all ready for the sweet kozhukkattai.
To make the flour for the Dumplings:
- Idyappam flour – 2 cups
- Hot boiling Water – as req to kneed the flour
- Salt – a pinch
- Sesame seed oil – 2 tbsp
- Take a big mixing bowl
- Add the flour and a pinch of salt
- Take a sauce pan or any pan and add water and make it come to a roll boil
- Just add the boiling water little by little
- And keep on mixing the flour with the back of a laddle
- Then it forms kind of a wet dough
- Add some sesame oil to it on the top
- And start to kneed the dough don’t over do it because it becomes harder
- To make the perfect dumplings first start to make a ball without any crack in it
- Then slightly press from the sides of the ball to make a cup shape
- If you want you can have some sesame oil by the side and slightly rub your fingers with that to make the dumplings without crack
- Then from the cup shape just press the sides 5 or 6 times and form the second shape to hold the stuffing insidde
- Then fill it with the ball of pooranam/ the sweet stuffing which we made earlier
- And finally close the cup and make it into a doom shaped one as shown in the pic above
- And likewise make everything how many ever you need and keep it in the idly cooker
- Give it sometime like 5 min or so for a rack, it really cooks quick
- Since this is cooked in the steam it is so healthy for everyone
- And all the kids love these dumplings
Done our Rice Dumplings with the sweet stuffing inside is all ready to serve!
Do try this healthy dish and let me know if you like it or not so it ll be helpful for my future postings!
Thanks for stopping by!!