Preparation time:5min cooking time:25min serves:4
- Brinjal – 5 or 6
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Egg masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Saffron(soaked in milk) – 2 or 3 strings
- Green chilli paste – 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Cashew & coconut powder – 1 cup
- Curd – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1/2
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Fried onions – 2 cups
- Jeera sambha rice – 6 cups
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cloves – 3 or 4
- Green cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Javitri – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Green chilli – 1/2
- Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – as req
- Mint leaves – as req
- Salt to taste
- Cut the brinjals into four sections with the stem on it
- Make the chilli paste and coconut and cashew powder
- Take a big pan to marinate with all the following ingredients curd,turmeric powder,coriander powder,cumin powder,red chilli powder,required amount of salt,egg masala powder,garam masala powder,squeeze in some lemon,ginger garlic paste,green chilli paste, fried onions,coriander leaves and mint leaves as required.
- Make sure to soak the rice in water for about 15 mins.
- Now keep a bigger pan on the flame for cooking biriyani.
- Smear oil into it
- Add the above marinated brinjal gravy and saute until the color of the gravy slightly changes
- Add the cashew and coconut powder to it and saute a bit
- Close the pan and cook until brinjal gets softened and till the skin of the brinjal is shrinked but make sure you add water little by little for the consistency when your sauteing
- Take some gravy from the pan and save it for later purpose.
Cooking rice part:
- As we are doing this, take another big pan add as much as water needed and add some salt to taste but make sure you add less because the gravy also contains salt
- Add the whole garam masala & 1 table spoon of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp oil to help the rice cooked in a perfect consistency and not to stick
- Add little mint and coriander leaves and 1/2 a green chilli and let it come to a roll boil at that time add the rice.
- Cook until it is 75% done
- Drain it in a colander
- After all these procedures, when the rice is done add it to the brinjal gravy pot in a layered manner
- Make sure to have a dosa tawa heated while doing this
- And have some roti dough ready for the dum.
Layering biriyani and finishing part:
- Take the gravy pot and place it on the dosa tawa which is already heated
- First layer should be the brinjal gravy
- Second layer should be with some rice
- Third layer is again the left out gravy
- The fourth layer should be all the left out rice
- Add the saffron which is soaked in warm milk
- Just add a little water(1/2 a cup) to prevent it from getting dried or burnt.
- Final touch is that when all the above is done ,just close it with a tight lid or you can use roti dough and seal the lid as shown
- For the first 5 mins keep it in a high flame
- After that keep it in a medium-low flame for about 25 mins
- Garnish it with some mint leaves and coriander leaves
- Add little ghee.
- Some fried onions as a topping.
READY! our mouth watering layered jeera sambha brinjal dum biriyani.