preparation time:10 min cooking time:20 mins serves:5
- Chicken – 1kg
- Coriander powder – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chicken masala powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Saffron(soaked in milk) – 2 or 3 strings
- Onions – 2
- Tomatoes – 1 1/2
- Green chillies – 4 or 5
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Curd – 2 cups
- Lemon – 1/2
- Oil – 5 to 6 tbsp
- Fried onions – 1 cup
- Jeeraga sambha rice – 7 cups
- Bay leaf – 2
- Clove – 3 or 4
- Green cardamom – 2 or 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Javitri – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – as req
- Mint leaves – as req
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Take a bowl and add the chicken and marinade with lemon and salt.(so that the chicken will be nice and tender)
- At the same time make sure you soak the rice in water for later purpose for about 15 mins.
- Add oil to your pan after when heated add all the whole spices and saute it
- Add onions,chillies(4) and saute well until golden brown
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw flavor is gone
- Add tomato, give it a stir and add all the above mentioned spice powders and fry it
- Add some mint leaves and coriander leaves
- Add curd and mix it well and then add the chicken
- Fry that for a few minutes until the chicken whose out water
- Just add about a cup of water and make it boil until the chicken is 70% cooked
- After when it is done switch off the flame
- Take a small bowl and extract all the oil from the top of the gravy (save it for later)
Cooking rice part:
- As we are doing this, go ahead and start to cook the rice in another big pan add as much as water needed and add some salt to taste but make sure you add less because the gravy also contains salt.
- Add lemon juice 1/2 (so that the rice wont stick together and flavour adds in too)
- Add little mint and coriander leaves and 1/2 a green chilli and 1/2 a tea spoon of fennel seeds and let it come to a roll boil and then add the rice.
- Cook it until you don’t see that the rice is not broken when pressed instead it should be 80% cooked.
- Drain it when that is done.
- After all these procedures, when the rice is done add it to the gravy pot in a layered manner
Layering and finishing part:
- first layer should be the gravy
- Second layer should be with some rice
- Third layer is again the left out gravy
- The fourth layer should be all the left out rice
- And here add the oil which is extracted from the gravy
- Add the saffron which is soaked in warm milk
- final touch is that when all the above is done ,just close it with a tight lid or use roti dough and seat the lid tightly
- Place the tawa which is well heated,for the first 5 mins keep it in a high flame
- After that keep it in a medium low flame for about 20 mins and the tasty brinjal dum biriyani is ready to eat.
- Garnish it with some mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Just add a little water(1/2 a cup) to prevent it from getting dried or burnt.
- Add little ghee.
- Some fried onions as a topping for a delicious taste
READY! Our awesome looking yummy chicken dum biriyani.